I was just reading a few weeks ago in the book "Sapiens" that the early
explorers set up an experiment where they would observe an astronomical event
from both England and the South Pacific.  Something about either time or
position.

I think it was Cook who was exploring at that point.  I'll have to dig through
to see exactly what it was.

Still quite something to plan on observing something that will take you a year
or more before you are even there to do the observing.

John Dammeyer