On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 22:51, R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is probably a rookie question, but sometime when I do a "Touch
> Off",  the Z-position indeed becomes 0,  but the X and Y are not.   Then
> in teh axis program, it will still go to the "first" spot where it needs
> to start milling

There are two different touch-offs: Tool and Coordinate system.

On a Mill you typically only touch-off the tool in Z, but each tool
can have XYZABCUVW offsets.
Lathes will generally use Z and X offsets.

The coordinate system offset applies to all tools.

So, for a mill with a collet chuck you can choose to touch-off the
tool every time, or the coordinate system every time, or some
combination. But we warned that unless you are disciplined and know
what you want to achieve, using both can get confusing. With a machine
that has a "proper" toolholding system then you would touch-off each
tool into the tool table, then you can touch-off the coordinate system
with any tool and the coordinate system will be correct for all tools.

Axis only touches-off one axis at a time. You need to choose the axis
with the radio buttons before pressing the touch-off button.

Touchy allows you to touch off every coordinate system or tool axis at
the same time.

I don't know what the other UIs do without testing them as I have
little experience with them.

--
atp
lunatics."