Gene,

I'm not familiar w/ the 3phase steppers, but usually stepper drivers have
dip switches or a dial to change the current to the motor.  You'd want to
flip them in such a way to select a lower current, which in turn would
provide lower torque.  This 3 phase stepper is probably an odd ball
though.

If your stepper driver does not have dip switches and a dial, thus you
could possibly change the current with commands via RS232, which you're
trying to do.  The problem is - what is the command to change the current?
Will it be stored (ie is there a save command)?  What is the termination of
the command (ie colon:, LineCarriage/Return, etc)?  Without a manual,
you're shooting in the dark.

Mark