My guess is there is a second WiFi network someplace.   WEP password should
be enough.

But yes, whitelisting all you MAC address would be "bomb proof" on that
network.   If there is another network it will not help.

People install all kinds o backdoors without knowing it with things like IP
cameras, printers, and whatnot.

But today not having WiFi is not even practical for most people.  My
fitness watch and bathroom scales and iPads don't have Ethernet jacks and
it's hard to run wires to the TV sets and so on.

I'd guess some device has an access point or more likely ad-hoc WiFi and
it's "routing".  No one is hacking a WEP WiFi.

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 5:50 PM Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users <
emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Set your router to only allow connections from the MAC addresses of your
> equipment.
> Some other WPA PSK2 issues to have a look at.
> https://techbeacon.com/security/wpa2-hack-allows-wi-fi-password-crack-much-faster
> Check to see if DD-WRT has added anything new against hashcat and pixie
> dust attacks.
>
>     On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 10:44:37 AM MDT, Gene Heskett <
> ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
>
>  On Sunday 13 September 2020 05:18:16 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > You could prevent this by not using "password" or "123" as your
> > network password.
> >
> Aww, come on guy, even I know better than that, I can change the wpsk2 pw
> to any random 26+ char phrase, and his phone can hack it in 30 seconds
> or less.  I've played whack a mole with him several times, but I always
> wind up just turning the radio off.  Using dd-wrt, and all hardwired, no
> one I didn't give the credentials to has gotten in, in nearly 16 years
> now.  There are 2 ways I can route the wifi, to me, or to the network,
> so I don't enable the "to me". I have it set, when its on, to allow
> network access over a wifi path, but not to me.
>
> > I don't enable the wifi. I have a neighbor that will use 100gb a month
> >
> > > using my bandwidth instead of his with his smartphone.  So all my
> > > networking is hard wired.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California