On Tuesday 20 October 2020 12:08:28 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 October 2020 07:08:26 andy pugh wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 10:22, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > > [485180.220310] hm2/hm2_5i25.0:     IO Pin 008 (P3-05): PWMGen #0,
> > > pin Out1 (Dir or Down) (Output) [485180.220317] hm2/hm2_5i25.0:
> > > IO Pin 009 (P3-06): PWMGen #0, pin Out0 (PWM or Up) (Output)
> > >
> > > Which is NOT where they actually are on the 7i76D!
> >
> > This leads me to suspect that you are not using the firmware that
> > you think you are, or that you are deliberately using a non-7i76
> > firmware. The 7i76 does not use _any_ PWM signals, the spindle
> > interface is part of the smart-serial subsystem.
>
> And in a pwmgen driven spindle, TB4 is worthless except for the enable
> on Jon's pwm-servo which is driveing the 1hp spindle motor.
>
> But now that I've found the PWMGEN.0 signals on STEP4, I'm driving the
> spindle normally from those. Which frees up the 2nd pwmgen I was
> driving the spindle with.
>
> > I would expect those PWM signals to be replacing the stepgen4
> > outputs.
>
> Yes.  Zero, zip, squat, nada mention of that teeny little detail.
>
> > So it is all documented, if you allow for the fact that you are
> > using an incorrect (or at least custom) firmware.
>
> In fact, I'm considering swapping the pwmgen.0/.1's duties to drive
> the spindle from pwmgen.1, (as I was formerly doing for the last 4
> years) and use pwmgen.0 to drive the BS-1 motor because of pwmgen.0's
> availability of its complementary dir signals on the stepgen4's pins.
> Those wires will reach either card in my box so that can be done
> rather easily. And it will remove 2 comp modules from the hal file.
> Always desirable on slower cpu's.

And indeed, the cable was duff. So I think thats been fixed for a year or
so, by cutting both connectors off and squeezing new ones on.  And while
I was putzing with that, the 150 watt audio board arrived, and I've been
playing with that. Laying the motor on the kitchen counter, with a 20 hz
sine wave drive from a function generator, the motor makes a great hand
massager as I have to hang onto it. :)  Its bouncing the output shaft
back and forth about 10 degrees in addition to shaking the motor about
1/4" in my hand. However it also appears to be going into some sort of
overload shutdown it takes about 2 seconds to recover from. But with a
lowered amplitude drive, it ran without undue heat sink temps for a half
an hour. Long enough my ancient hands are still about half numb from
hanging onto it.  So that idea has promise also, as a class D servo
driver. Theoreticly all I have to do is do away with the inputs high
pass filter to made an analog but class D amplifier. But since this one
may shut down, I think I'll test the 420 watter when it arrives Friday.

In the meantime superglue is curing on the new db25 plug, hopefully to
hold the assembly tighter that the ones I hit the 55 gallon can with.

Thanks Andy.

 - Louis D. Brandeis