For all the time spent chasing cable problems it might be nice to have a chip on a board that would echo signals and generate error messages. Without good diagnostics one is like the puppy chasing his tail.

Dave

On 11/13/20 3:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 13 November 2020 14:59:41 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:14:24 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Emc-users] back to a bad cable?

Greetings all;

I, despite seeingthe signals on the bobs input leds just fine, am
not seeing them at all the inputs to encoder.01 in the 5i25.  And I
just made that 5' cable a month ago.

IDC crap. I have a 100 ft roll of Belden ribbon cable thats now
about 15 years old, unused portion still in the Belden box.  But
apparently either the blue amphenol db25, or the black hirose 26 pin
header connectors, both gold flashed, are crap.  Or the cable has
been gnawed in two, without leaving a mark on it.

Where are you guys buying /known good/ cable and connectors these
days?

Thanks.

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis
We use AMP/TYCO connectors and 3M cable and have basically 0 problems
If you plug/unplug the cable frequently, you should use the strain
reliefs or the first and last wires in the cable tend to get broken.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

Thank you Peter. I found a coat of what might have been paint or
something similar on pins 12-13 of the bobs rear socket. Chiseled it off
and washed it out with some carb cleaner spray, its working or was. The
bob inputs suddenly acted as if they had a.1 cap to ground, on all of
them, changed the bob for a new but it didn't help. Disconnected from
the bob, the encoder has about a 2 microsecond rise and fall times, 5
volt rail to rail swings, excellent quadrature, but hook it up and get
instant quad error. I've one more bob yet, but changing it is an hour
plus chore. But its a different version, db25 moved left about half an
inch. I'd have to dis about 12 other connectors just to take the back
panel off and mill the slot wider.  Either that or remove the standoffs
and mount it via the connector ears.

Some days it don't pay to gnaw thru the straps to get up and p.