There are dozens of solutions.  maybe the Udev rule tigers a Python scrip
that waits for an "I'm ready" signal before it makes the device?   Or the
rules looks for a "myMill" device ID

I suggest reading USB documentation and standards and also how Udev works
on Linux.
This is not bad
https://linuxconfig.org/tutorial-on-how-to-write-basic-udev-rules-in-linux
Wikipedia is not a bad intro to USB either
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_(Communications)

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM <ken.stra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are correct. I have a udev rule to connect to my particular VID/PID.
> The
> problem is trying to talk before I'm really ready.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California