On 12/13/2020 08:47 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

And I will say not to the degree you might think.
Right. LinuxCNC has added some things like HAL that cause increased overhead (probably no worse than 10%). The ONE big thing that eats up resources is the 3D graphical preview. There are GUIs that do not use this (keystick and touchy, for instance). But, I think the preview is VERY useful. I can see the extents of motion (in red) and see where my coordinate origin is. Also, sometimes I see something that doesn't look right, and realize I made an error in the data entry (I generally do NOT use a traditional CAD system, I have programs that take some numbers and spit out G-code, WAY faster for what I do) but it is obvious that the 5 holes are NOT evenly spaced when I see the preview. Saved wasted time and material several times.

I did start using EMC in 1998 on a 100 MHz Pentium Classic, I'd HATE to have to run it on that, now. LinuxCNC has not gotten that much bloat, but the OS definitely has!

Jon