On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 08:16, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> > Also for a rotary table I wonder if you could use a push button on a
> > control pannel.   You define home to be whatever you want.   For
> > example if you need to make 20 cuts to cut a gear, do you care where
> > the firth tooth is on the black?
>
> Generally no, Chris, but there will be times, like when a gear already
> has the keyway cut. :)

I have not bothered with home switches on my rotary, it just homes
where it is. (zero search velocity) as part of the home sequence.

If there is already a keyway or feature on the shaft then I am not
sure that homing really helps, unless it is a job that was left in
overnight.
(And in that case I would return to zero before shutting it down).

Aligning to an existing keyway or flat is a touch-off process, not homing.

--
atp
lunatics."