On Friday 18 December 2020 05:23:45 andy pugh wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 08:16, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > Also for a rotary table I wonder if you could use a push button on
> > > a control pannel.   You define home to be whatever you want.   For
> > > example if you need to make 20 cuts to cut a gear, do you care
> > > where the firth tooth is on the black?
> >
> > Generally no, Chris, but there will be times, like when a gear
> > already has the keyway cut. :)
>
> I have not bothered with home switches on my rotary, it just homes
> where it is. (zero search velocity) as part of the home sequence.
>
> If there is already a keyway or feature on the shaft then I am not
> sure that homing really helps, unless it is a job that was left in
> overnight.
> (And in that case I would return to zero before shutting it down).
>
> Aligning to an existing keyway or flat is a touch-off process, not
> homing.

That was my impression too, Andy, but I can drive it till the encoders
rawcount is maybe a dozen counts from zero, touch it off to zero, and
restart LinuxCNC and its back to -44 thousand counts on the restart. So
call me puzzled. Even nuking position.txt doesn't prevent it long term.
I parked it on the switch but didn't touch off to 0.000 before the last
shutdown and this is position.txt now:

0.00010004874109802
0.00000004978340956
6.24999990801172967