On Tuesday 05 January 2021 10:47:16 andy pugh wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 15:40, Thomas J Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Thats a max step/sec of 13333 for that particular sequence of 2
> > steps.
> >
> > That sequence can happen at anytime in a cnc path.
>
> Not so. A stepper will only ever reverse at zero speed, when the step
> rate is zero. So you don't need to make allowances for setup.

This might be so, but zero speed is very fleeting for the reversal at the
bottom of a g33.1. Even if being sequenced by hal tricks like I am. And
a step loss  at the bottom turnaround could cause the sloppy oversized
threads I am getting when I have to peck exec with a descending turn
around due to lack of torque to drive the tap of that size in one stroke
so I write a peck loop.

I'd have no trouble expanding that spindle stopped window, its a setp in
my hal code, so how long a dead time between encoder pulses do I need in
order to guarantee no loss of Z steps in that condition?

Thanks Andy.

 - Louis D. Brandeis