It's because of the Toshiba Kongsberg scandal. In the late 70's to early 80's
there were violations of export controls on advanced machine tools and control
electronics, such that the equipment ended up in the USSR via various pathways
and less than a year after obtaining the machine tools, Soviet submarines were
running quieter thanks to their newly acquired ability to manufacture better
propellers with reduced cavitation. Getting that equipment also provided the
Soviets with new designs to copy and expand on to enhance their own machine
tools.

    On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 9:35:34 AM MST, Ralph Stirling