On 1/18/21 3:53 PM, Andy Pugh wrote:

On 18 Jan 2021, at 23:08, John Dammeyer<jo...@autoartisans.com>  wrote:

So what does LinuxCNC do?  Is the thread mucked up if spindle speed is changed
during a feed hold and then start?
I believe that it does. The docs specifically warn against Chang speed during a
threading cycle.

I seem to recall that lathe threading with G76 will disable the feed hold signal during the coordinated motion on the drive line, which can include the straight thread or an optional beginning or end taper within the stock straight thread length. The electronic gearing between the spindle encoder and the Z position should keep the thread path accurate through spindle speed variations. G33 documentation indicates that the routine calculates the best path to get the tool to the ideal index keyed path as soon as possible after the index mark signal. This is mostly from memory, so please refer to the LinuxCNC documentation to get the official information. I very much suggest _reading_ the documentation and not skimming because some of the features are not intuitive.

There are other ways to tread, such as using spindle index only with dead-reckoning.