Hi Andy

if your path is a straight line
dont use linuxcnc , just hal

use steppers to advance
use an opamp window comparator
with a too high and a too low threshold

when your measured voltage is too high advance 1 step
else dont move, just wait
if too low, turn off the power , maybe retract
no linuxcnc needed
it cuts as fast as it can automatically

in most edm (any electrode material to steel workpiece ) the optimal gap voltage is near 30V=
its almost 2 volts lower when roughing
and 2 volts higher when finishing

The discharge voltage Ua) varies with 'paarung' the pairing of material, so for carbon wheel to wolfram, its will be even less,
i have seen stable cutting al low as 18V ( do not try to go lower )
a transistorized or FET generator is way better for MMR and wear.

to cut carbidem use a carbon of copper-graphite or copper tungsten wheel

edming carbide is mostly removing the binder.

using parrafinics is better than water but requres filtering and pumps
the nature of edm grinding is the 'best' flushing in all edm realms ( sink, orbiting, wire, hole drill ) because the tool to workpiece junction is continuosly new (like wedm, but free on each side, unlike wedm )
so a bath of 'white spirits' may be enough

on AGie edm-grinders ( used mostly by sewing machine companies ) they used thin ( low -visc) edm oil

there is no such thing as edm oil, its merely a layer in the cracker tower that is removed and labeled (kerosene or edm fluid or axle grease)
get a copy of the OEL-HELD book on edm fluids

a higher supply voltge ( 80-100V=) makes it easier (and more accurate) for a comparator to decide wether to adance , hold still, or retract.

a use of adaptive feed wull never apprach the needed jittery advance of edm, adaptive feed never reacts negatively, it can only reacts 'less-ly'
the motion techniques for mills is not the motion for edm.

I did a lot of work for Union Special on such machines http://www.unionspecial.com/

are you using a lathe spindle as the edm spindle?

the plans that Garret Visser link to at MIT are a good idea
previous 'the garden of edm' was good but remains unfinished
https://cscott.net/Projects/FabClass/final/edesign1.html

oh, splash/spray guards are neccesary, high rpm is not

hth
I'm kneedeep in rpi-gpio driver here . is **cp same as &array[] ??

hahaha i have to write a lot of test code to see how the original code worked.
best o luck

tomp