Hi Gene,
But it's also been reported that with LinuxCNC it's possible to stop the
spindle while still in Threading Mode and then turn the spindle by hand and the
carriage will follow.  This is of course on a lathe.  Not something you'd do on
a mill I think.

The question then becomes what is the minimum number of encoder edges required
to do this without mucking up a thread.  A 60 Tooth encoder gives 240 edges
which is still 1.5 degrees.  On a 1" shaft being turned to say 8 TPI with an 8
TPI leadscrew the circumference is 3.14" or 0.0087222..." per degree or
0.01308333..." per 1.5 degrees.  So if the spindle stops on an edge and then is
further rotated by hand manually for 1.5 degrees the carriage will lag by
0.013" or so before the system realizes it needs to move.

My understanding of carbide tooling is that's enough to break the tip.

But if the encoder is 10x that with 2400 lines then at 600 RPM (for example) we
get an encoder edge every 42 uS or so and we've move 0.15 degrees or and
0.0013083333...".  At this point probably not an issue for carbide and as long
as the carriage can track that it's not a problem.  And as long as the system
can respond to that encoder change fast enough.

See the issue?
John