On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 20:44, Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I would like to do is mount the spindle directly to the z-axis (as one
> normally would). Then have a collar that surrounds the engraving bit rub with
> spring pressure against the top surface of the workpiece. This collar would
> be mounted to a linear axis with an encoder, in the same orientation as the
> z-axis, and thus track the surface of the workplace relative to the spindle
> position.

That certainly ought to work.

Two coaxial sliding tubes is a capacitor. So you can actually measure
the displacement with an LC bridge circuit.

(I actually did this once, when I needed to measure displacement on a
_very_ fast moving thing)

On the scale you are talking about it might be hard to get enough
resolution, and there is a susceptibility to electrical noise.

I imagine the travel distance is tiny? I would be looking at
(analogue) inductive sensors. Or possibly laser triangulation sensors,
if I could find one cheap on eBay.

Or, actually, something that is really cheap, effective and accurate...
Use a thin leaf spring to hold the collar against the work (a simple
C-shaped one, maybe two at 180 degrees around the Z axis)
Bond strain-gauges to the inside and outside of the curve of each in a
Wheastone Bridge, and take to a simple Op-amp amplifier circuit.

I used to use these all the time in a previous job, and was getting
sub-micron accuracy over a 5 mm range.

Strain gauges are about $1 from eBay and can be bonded on with
ordinary super-glue.

(After abrading and de-greasing the surface, pick up the strain gauge
with Sellotape (Scotch tape) and tape it down in place. Then peel up
one end of the tape, lifting the gauge, put a drop of glue under it,
and tape it back down.)

--
atp
lunatics."