> On the scale you are talking about it might be hard to get enough
> resolution, and there is a susceptibility to electrical noise.
>
> I imagine the travel distance is tiny? I would be looking at
> (analogue) inductive sensors. Or possibly laser triangulation sensors,
> if I could find one cheap on eBay.

Travel distance is a the max cutting depth of a single flute 1/4” engraving
tool, which is about 1/2”, plus a bit of headroom.

The tool needs to first engrave the material, then contour cut. The material
can theoretically be up to 1/2” thick.

So a 1000ppr encoder with a reasonably small gear meshing with a linear rack or
even a gt2 belt would let me get to within 1 thou, which is plenty precise for
this application. An encoder is also easier for me to integrate because I have
an unused encoder input on the Mesa board.