If you intend to print man pages use the "-t" option and you will get
Postscript output that is easier to read than dumb-ASCII.

Something like

man -t chmod > chmod_manpage.ps

Will generate a Postscript file for the "chmod" command that is formatted
for letter-size pages with professional-like typesetting.   30 years ago I
once had a notebook of these printouts it worked the same way then as now.
UNIX was old, even then.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 9:20 PM R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> well you could pipe it  through lpr.
>

> but also, probably easier,  you can pipe it to a file..  and then print
> that file.
>

> for example for ls:
>

> $ man ls > ls-man.txt
>

> check ls-man.txt,  it should be an ascii/txt file.   and you can print
> that.
>

> Ron
>
> On 3/7/21 10:08 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I guess I'm one of the guys that grew up reading the printed word, and to
> > this day I grasp a howto 10 times better by reading it on paper.
> >
> > So, how is the best way to get a paper copy of a man page, since man
> > doesn't seem to have the ability to redirect its screen output to a
> > printer?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Chris Albertson