On 04/24/2021 05:00 AM, andrew beck wrote:

if I try rigid tap at 1000 rpm at 1mm pitch i get a over travel of about
5mm.  I can reduce the deceleration ramp in the altivar 71 schiender drive
to 0.5 secs and then the over travel is about one revolution of the
spindle.  but if i leave the settings in vfd like that and then run spindle
at 9000rpm the spindle goes into overvoltage faults.

Do you have a braking resistor on the drive? That is needed to absorb the returned energy when decelerating the spindle. If you don't have one, you need it. It is possible to use an old-style "cal rod" stovetop heating element as a braking resistor.

Also, you may be able to use a limit3 or lowpass hal component to slow the accel/decel of the spindle command.

Jon