I have several RPI3's and RPI4's.  what I noticed (with the RPI4)  more memory is always better.

There are  things they are good at, especially "light-weight" stuff, and other things they are not.   I use one as a datalogger, I tried RPI3 RPI4-1GB/4GB/8GB, and it has timing and temperature issues.

(I am not using them for CNC).  I use aa RPI as a datalogger for a seismograph, that seems to be pushing it,  I use one for home automation, like switching off/on lights (which is not time critical), I use it for reading humidity/temp data, also fine because there are no timing critical things with that either. (I don't care if the lights go on/off a half second sooner or later)

they are pretty powerful little ARM computer/boards..  BUT  it is a $40-$80 piece of equipment... you get what you pay for.

I run CNClinux on a Dell, 172GB, dual cpu, 24 cores, I don't think an RPI can match that. an RPI might be able to run a CNC machine..  but if I'd do it, I'd do it for "funsies" to see if I can get away with it and make a point.

(I've been known to do things like that, just to see if I can get away with things.)

For example ..  what an RPI is not good at... is reliably read a quadrature encoder output, and I know some use these encoders.

but that's just my 2cts.

Ron