On Saturday 12 June 2021 19:24:49 Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> As  some of you know, I'm finishing a CNC router and I'm about to
> purchase all the control hardware. I know Gene, John, and several
> people here are running LCNC on the PI with success but I would like
> to know how much of a pain in the ass is to get it running well with a
> 7i76E for controlling the router.
>
> I'm trying to decide wheter I purchase Rpi 4b or I use a normal PC as
> I've been doing with all the other machines. I really like the idea of
> using something as portable and small as the Rpi but I don't want to
> purchase one just to test right now... I do have a Rpi3 with Octoprint
> on the ender but I don't know if that's a good candidate to test LCNC.

I may be the first, or nearly so, to use a pi to run LCNC. Ethernet
interfaces didn't seem to fill the bill because I wanted to use the only
hardware ethernet it had as a normal network connection, so the
interface chosen at the time was the 7i90HD which could be driven by a
parport, or by SPI.  Since the pi didn't then have a parport, it was
SPI.

I don't use the radio, but thats a different story/subject.

But LCNC didn't have an SPI interface, so a swedish prof wrote rpspi.ko
and gave it to us. The pi3 could run my lathe rather nicely, but it did
keep it pretty busy, so when I wrote the hal stuff to add two more
encoder dials so I could drive it by hand too, and given that the dials
were only 100 ppr, I added a 200hz thread to hal and put all that stuff
in it.

But first I had to build a quasi-realtime kernel, which presented me with
a problem, the pi folks would not help me install it. So I grabbed what
the pi needed. organized it in a tarball, that if unpacked to a u-sd
card with raspbian already installed, put everything the pi needed to
run this kernel:

 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Feb 6 07:09:18 EST 2020 armv7l

Which is all in one slightly less than 30 megabyte tarball.  Its not
perfect, but plenty close enough for me until I tried to cut some lathe
pawns out of air while browseing the evening news with firefox on the
rpi3. I could hear a stutter now and then.

That started out with a raspian jessie install, then stretch and now the
same kernel is running raspian buster on a 2 gig pi4. Still booting from
the u-sd card, but with the pi4, its not dragging its tongue at all, I
can browse the net while cutting pawns out of air & never hear a single
stutter from the steppers.

I have a 240G SSD on a usb3 cable adapter, moved as much of the stuff as
I could off the u-sd to another 120G SSD on the other usb3 port, and am
building master or master-gtk3 at least daily and installing it, on that
same u-sd card, for over a year now. I check github for fresh commits 4x
a day so I'm tracking the buildbot with maybe a days lag maximum.

The only thing I spent extra money on was a trio of 7i42TA's to protect
and buffer the 7i90's 3 volt gpio stuff, I had some noise get backed
into the 7i90 and blew some pins on the first 3 7i90's. I redid all the
grounds onto one BIG star setup, which got rid of the noise at the same
time I added the 7i42TA's, whose terminals made the interfaceing enough
easier that I don't regret the cost.

And I recently changed the motors driving that 75 yo Sheldon, for 3 phase
stepper driven servo's. Much quieter, moves like Casper the ghost now,
and twice as fast. These have a fault output that I use to kill motion
as instantly as it can get stopped. Has not tripped while doing a job,
but I can position it to hit a chuck jaw at cutting speed, and jog it
into the jaw without damaging the chip in the tool, or making a mark on
the jaw, so I'd guess its working as intended.

My $0.02.

> What do you guys think?
>
> Thanks as always and I hope you're all doing well :)

 - Louis D. Brandeis