It's easy enough in MACH3 to enable machine coordinates and then move to
approximately where the limit switches would be and zero the axis.  At that
point switch out of machine coordinates and move to say the corner of the vise,
set the zeros for the current G5x_ state and it's as if you've done a
mechanical home with the majority of the machine work envelope available.  In
MACH3 the rule is that limit switches must not be assigned in the inputs dialog
in order for this to work.

How is this done in LinuxCNC?    My desktop testing bits and pieces doesn't
have limit switches and at the moment is wired with the limit inputs to ground
to simulate closed switches.

The reason would be if I executed the end of project sequence created by
Fusion360

M9
G28 G91 Z0.
G90
G28 G91 X0. Y0.
G90
M30

Just curious.  I'm a big believer in limit and home switches.
John

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"
Automation Artisans Inc.
www dot autoartisans dot com