With the demise of Sears, the new term is "Chinese horsepower". They have
smaller horses...

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
Sent: June 27, 2021 1:54 PM
To: 'fxkl47BF' <fxkl4...@protonmail.com>; 'Enhanced Machine Controller
(EMC)' <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] OT: power, horsepower, and a bad brain

Your engine might be rated at what we used to call 'Sears Horsepower' where
their compressors had 4HP rated motors for 115VAC 15A circuit which isn't
possible of course.  They'd rate the max surge current for a few
milliseconds I think.

Anyway, your alternator is rated at 2200 RPM for max current.  Without
knowing your engine RPM it's hard to compare but 1:2 is likely too high for
this alternator.  And if you slow down the engine to 1100 RPM to create 2200
RPM you won't get the rated power.   I'd go the other direction with 2:1 or
even 3:1 depending on what max engine RPM is.

The systems I've designed that used a 10KW ONAN genset created 110VAC into
an 80A charger.  And even then I could control the charger to limit charge
current which in turn limited load on the generator.

You will find even with sealed lead acid batteries that the max current will
only be there for a very short time so trying to achieve that level of power
output for charging is likely not needed.  Lithiums are a different story.

John