Sorry I sent the message too soon.   Getting max power out of an engine
means running it at a pathological where the load is exactly matched of
just one RPM.    But youengine is over powered as it should be so you only
need to run a wide open throttle at any RPM where thecurve is able 3.5 (or
whatever) HP.

You are still going to need two automatic control systems or a full-time
skilled human operator.
1) the first control system measures battery voltage over time and
computesthe rate of charge and uses a MOSFET switch to limit rate of
change.  All current battery charges today use a microcontroller and
software to do this.    Again a skilled human operator could watch a meter
and maybe move switches if it had charge rate chart as reference.   This is
best left to automation.
2) You are going to need an RPM sensor on the motor and an actuator on the
throttle so that RPM stays constant ouder different loads.  Or maybe
smarter  use an algorithm that runs the engine at the minimum RPM needed to
produce the power required.  Again a microcontroller and software is
needed.  Or a skilled full time human operator.

One other thing.  The battery charge controller will produce a varying
load.  At first, it will "bulk charge" and then taper off the power
delivered to the battery.   I'd thing it a good idea if the battery charger
software could communicate to the engine controller software.  But this is
a "version 2.0 step.

You likely also want a display so you can monitor what's happening inside.
Certainly during development you need to watch it closely while you do
things like tweak PID constants and the like.   If the control computer
where something like a Raspburry Pi it could put all the data on a web
page.  Then you can remotely monitor the charger over WiFi on your phone or
desktop computer.

In the old days they used mechanical governors with pushrods to the
carburetor for RPM control but today you put a rotation sensor on the
output shaft that does a pulse each revolution and send that to the engine
controller

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California