Gene is right.  The input surge from transformers and capacitors can be quite
major.  To get around that I build a couple of circuits to slow down the input
surge and to also clamp over voltage from decelerating DC servos plus drain the
caps of the 105VDC quickly so that it was safe to work on.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/drawings/MillCNCDrawings.html

The above link is to my dirty laundry so to speak.  Essentially I put a 47 Ohm
10W resistor in series with the primary winding on power up.  How long it's
there is based on the PIC controller that also runs the high voltage clamp and
drain circuit.

John Dammeyer