That got it.  With the info in the thread I found a posting on the
LightBurn forums from someone trying to make a laser work on his Probotix
machine.  He had the find/replace strings in the final post.

I was using the spindle pwm pin generated by Stepconf for laser power
control.  I checked my HAL file and found that the spindle was set up on
pwmgen.0 like his example.  First try didn't fire the laser so I guessed
that the pwmgen for the spindle wasn't active until the spindle was
started.  I put in a M3 S10 before the first laser power command in the
file (an off) and things started working.  I haven't decided if I am going
to edit the HAL to add another pwmgen just for the laser or if I can find a
simple way to always have the pwmgen.0 enabled. is

Now I just need to zero in on some parameters for the burn.  I was doing a
photo of our dog and cat.  Dog came out reasonable but the black cat was
very light.  I think I need to back down the velocity as it is moving over
the pure black area too fast to do anything.

Dave