On Monday 13 September 2021 16:51:42 Alan Condit wrote:

> John, Peter and Gene,
>
> I have the Cycletrol-150 Manual. It says that you can replace the 5k
> ohm potentiometer with a 0-10v analog signal. The 7i76 manual says
> that you can use it to replace a 5k potentiometer control (0-10v). So
> that should work and indeed seems to be working. I have tried
> adjusting the detectors to 90°. I have an old Tectronix scope and they
> look pretty good there. It now has a solid “at speed indication” up to
> about 250rpm. So now I am suspecting that I don’t have the PNCConf
> configuration quite correct for the spindle. At the top of the range
> the Speed Indicator fluctuates from about 400 to 600 rpm while the
> motor sounds like it is holding dead steady. One of my problems is
> that I don’t actually know what the rpm of the motor should be at
> 90volts. It is a Pacific Scientific motor rated 1.5hp at 110v DC.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

If you are falling apart at 250 rpms, the first thing I would check is
the speed of any opto stuff in the path from your encoder output back to
LinuxCNC to the the encoder that shuld be labeled a decoder in the
hardware at the computer end of the path. Get that old tech to look at
the encoder inputs at the 5i25 or 7i76. I'd be willing to bet a small
sum the good, square waves from your hardware are half amplitude saw
teeth by the time they get to the mesa card(s)

> > I built a new controller for my 9x20 lathe using a 5i25/7i76 combo.
> > I thought I had everything working but I still can’t get the spindle
> > working correctly. I have a 1.5hp PMDC treadmill motor that I am
> > controlling with a Cycletrol-150 DC controller. The am using the
> > analog out from the 7i76 to replace the potentiometer to control the
> > spindle speed. I have a 100 slot encoder with index (homemade) on
> > the spindle.

That would be 400 edges per turn. And since the motor doesn't seem to be
affected, the feedback to the spindle's pid is also getting lost.

> [...]
> >>.html
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> >> From: "Peter C. Wallace" <p...@mesanet.com>
> >>
> >> I would first check the A/B phasing and symmetry by monitoring the
> >> A and B inputs with halscope when turning at a slow speed (say 100
> >> RPM or less) The pins to monitor would be:
> >>
> >> hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-a
> >> hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-b
> >>
> >> Ideally both A and B should be square waves (50% duty cycle)
> >> and have a 90 degree phase difference (A changes in the middle of B
> >> high and B low times and vice versa)
> >>

> >> Peter Wallace
> >> Mesa Electronics
> >>

> >> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> >>
> >> On Sunday 12 September 2021 17:49:43 Alan Condit wrote:
> >>

> >> getting proper quadrature out of homemade stuff is a bear with 4
> >> sore paws. I know, I done it about 3 times now. I would in your
> >> shoes do this which has worked really well here.
> >>
> >> How many "gear shifts" do you have between the motor and the actual
> >> spindlle? You could probably do more than 2, but thats all the
> >> gears I have on my g0704. I have tally switches on that knob that
> >> tell linuxcnc what, if any, gear it is in. I have a single screw
> >> glued to the side of the drawbar cap that is read by an ATS-667
> >> hall effect device for the once per turn "index signal" to an
> >> encoder. Prowl ebay and get a cheap 1000 line encoder for a $20
> >> bill, and spin it with the back of the  motor shaft. It will be way
> >> to fast to get thru the average BoB's opto stuff, so you'll have to
> >> use one of the encoders in the 5i25, which can do that fast a
> >> signal or hack the BoB to remove them.  Feed the same encoder you
> >> are feedingthe index into with the outputs of this encoder .
> >> Not knowing the gear ratio in either gear, I hacked up a counter in
> >> hal that starts counting pulses from an encoder on the back of the
> >> spindle motor, counting them for 100 turns of the spindle as seen
> >> by the ATS-667, and freezing the count so you can read it with a
> >> hal-meter. Divide that count by 100 and you have the "SCALE" value
> >> for that gear. Repeat for the other gear. then use the tally
> >> switches and a mux to feed the correct SCALE into that input to
> >> linuxcnc. For my g0704, that scale is a hair over 7,000 in high
> >> gear, and a different hair over 14,000 in low gear. And with that
> >> high a scale, quantization noise flat disappears, allowing very
> >> high pid Pgain values, 20 or more for extremely stiff spindle speed
> >> control. I use the PICO pwm-servo amp, and the only time I can tell
> >> the spindle is loaded really heavily is when the iron in the motor
> >> starts squeaking as that 9.7 amp motor is being throttled at around
> >> 18 amps by the pwm-servo.  Thats about 2 hp from a 1 hp rated
> >> motor, but its had 6 years to complain and hasn't, not even asking
> >> for fresh brushes.
> >>
> >> When you are ready, let me know and I'll pm you my hal files and
> >> such so you can cherry pick and use what you want.

 - Louis D. Brandeis