On Tuesday 28 September 2021 13:43:54 John Figie wrote:

>   Gene,
>
> So It seems like you have verified that the PSU shutdown is not caused
> by a shoot through current in the H bridge and that is good.
> Now if the motor is running at 24V and you instantly reverse the power
> supply, the current going into the motor will not instantly reverse
> direction because of the motor inductance. But if the inertia is large
> compared to the inductance (large in terms of stored energy) then like
> you say, the current will soon get very large as you will have
> essentially 48V (24 from PSU and 24 from back EMF) across the winding,
> limited only by the resistance.
>
> Now I am working on making some torque mode drives for my lathe
> retrofit. But I would like to see if I can make a decent motor and
> drive simulation using LTSpice. I already have what I think is a
> reasonable motor model. I intend to share the simulation model once I
> am confident in it. It can also be used to show any benefit in true
> torque mode, where the current is the command input to the drive,
> rather than voltage mode - what I think you have. I have found that if
> a simulation can be set up and validated it gives much more insight
> into a particular problem - you can make changes quickly and you can
> measure things that would be otherwise very difficult.
>
> It would be cool if I could get more info about your motor and
> mechanics.
>
> Like:
>
> No Load Speed - maybe not feasible for you since you would need to
> take your machine apart.

My best estimate would still be a WAG.

> Nominal voltage and speed
24 volts, 100 watt rated, but I suspect from the heat rise that would be
an ICAS rating. Service target is a chain driven estate driveway gate
and one open/close wouldn't be anywhere near CCS.

> Stall current
Since the psu is a 300 watt model and doesn't crowbar at the limited
accells I can use, I'll say a WAG at 10 to 12 amps.

> Stall torque
unk, more than enough to turn the bs-1. Including I believe with a
cutting load applied

> DC resistance

That I can get.

> Inductance

I have an esr meter that might report that, none of the several dvm's I
have does inductance.

> Inertia of rotor and worm - that one may be hard to find. but maybe it
> can be estimated by the mass, and diameter of the armature and
> connected load. The mass on the worm gear side will probably not be
> significant because of the high gear ratios.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I'll get back with anything else I can measure but I've got some pill
shopping to do yet today, scripts running out etc.

Thanks John.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis