I had to read a few times..........but yes, I think I understand the principals now. Thank you.

I have revised my schematic now and hopefully have the caps in the correct place. I've also added the 'pull-ups' that Jon suggested.

https://www.purbrookengineering.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11

Pete