On 13/10/2021 15:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 13 October 2021 06:06:06 Peter Hodgson wrote:

I just tested the VFD shield and supply line shield and both are open
circuit when not connected to the start bolt.

There are three AC motors: Spindle, Oil Lubrication and Coolant Pump
that are all grounded to the machine frame via their mountings but I
have also ran individual earth cables to the star bolt. Is that good
practice??

Pete
I wouldn't think so Pete. Only the house static ground, the third pin of
the power plug, the bare wire in romex cable, s/b connected there. Your
connection to an earth ground is paralleling the static ground to earth,
normally made in the meter head box or just below it. Thats the one and
only place where its even legal to connect static ground and neutral
together here in the US.

That earth connection is potentially a huge ground loop. The machines
themselves are, I assume sitting on concrete, a relatively poor
conductor, and their frames should also be connected to that bolt unless
the bolt itself is on the machine frame which will accomplish, barring
paint, the same thing.

I think I might be creating confusion here with my terminology. When I say 'grounded' I mean the motor chassis has continuity to the machine frame via it's mounting bolts so therefore is 'earthed' BUT I have also run an individual earth cable from the motor chassis to the star bolt. No AC Neutral or dc 0v are taken to the machine frame or earth (as far as I know). My question is ......Is it good or bad practice to have the motor chassis with mechanical continuity to the machine frame AND continuity to the star bolt with an earth cable i.e. two routes to earth??

I didn't build this machine control. It was an eBay purchase where the LCNC computer was lost and seems like it had been passed around a bit whilst various people tried to get it running again. It's running quite well now after I bought it and got my head around LCNC but I'm now trying to iron out these last few wrinkles!!

Pete