Yes, experimental setup does require some skill.  Sometimes you even have
to build a test connection to the scope with a connector on it.  Then on
the scope there are setting for "DO coupled" or "AC coupled and for placing
in low pass filters and trigger level and on the digital scope even more
settings with menus three levels deep

Logic analyzers are another good tool.  These can have 8 or 16
onput channels and can have very complex triggering and recording, Mixed
signal scopes combine both.     Some good logic analyzers can be had for
only $10.

People with no budget can make-do with make-shift things like setting up a
iPhone camera to video-record a 1970's vintage analog scope.    Then you
can scroll back and look.      Many times the key is being smart in how you
rig the experiments.  For example measuring inductance with a scope takes
some thinking and a plan.

The nest subject after buying a scope is scope-probes.   These are not just
simple wires with clips.  Almost always they ate 10 to 1 attenuator but I
have some 100:1 that switch to 1000:1   Probes are a whole field of study
in themselves.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California