We are digging into a 2002-vintage Denso 6-axis robot,
with a Linuxcnc conversion in mind.  The joint motors
on this robot appear to have Panasonic encoders with
a four wire interface and a fair amount of circuitry
inside each encoder.  I suspect that these are the same
as the ones in this EEVblog thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/interfaceprotocol-to-encoder-on-panasonic-servo-motor/

A rather terse comment at the end of that thread
suggests that these are 2.5Mbaud async RS485 communications:

   2.5MBps RZ 8N1 RS485
   0x52 comes from drive - seems encoder reset.
   changes afterwards to 0x2a - read encoder command

We already determined that ours are using RS485, so this
seems to confirm we are looking at right things.  Anybody
ever tried interfacing such encoders to LCNC?

Thanks,
-- Ralph