An update...
I spent the afternoon tweaking software and air pressure etc.  Still haven't
been able to get the 3/8" impact deep socket from falling off. The dimple in
the drive is deeper and the set screw definitely locks tight but after a few
cycles the screw is loose again.  Eventually the socket flies off.

Restricting the air exhaust did slow down the full speed but not enough without
some major mechanical changes.  With that in mind I took another look at the
PWM approach but this time I followed the suggestion to do PWM which was 10%
and 20% of 100mS.  The valve still has time to open and supply enough so the
motor doesn't turn super fast (although too fast still) but also has torque.

The problem is when using a torque wrench to set 18 ft-lbs the 10% wouldn't
budge it.  The 20% setting does but once it's a tiny bit loose it will turn 4
or 5 turns.  It was reliable enough to not drop the R8 most of the time.  But
it would take a lot of tries at 1 second per cycle to move it a tiny bit, then
another tiny bit, and so on.

And if it's lifted a touch and the magnet isn't at the right height because it
didn't sit fully on the head of the draw bar then it spins for the entire
timeout period.  Make that time too long and once again the R8 drops out.

Would be better if the indexing was on the drawbar nut but that raises other
issues with the quill moving down and the nut descending downwards into the
center of the drive pulley.  Reflective sensor on the round bottom of the nut
would work.  As it is the nut is getting pretty trashed so until the 12 point
socket arrives I think this part of the project is on hold.

John