Andy
If I was only running TTS or something with a pull stud like yours that would
be a no brainer.

However I want the ability to use both TTS (no more than two turns either
direction) and R8 (engaged thread number of turns to release and capture).

The idea of tap on the button to force two turns and press and hold for
continuous would work if I could get the socket to line up and the motor to not
over speed to thousands of RPM.

I'll take a longer look at guiding the socket but in the end not all R8 tooling
starts the thread at the same point.  So the draw bar engages at a different
angle into each R8 collet so even if the spindle were at the index position
where the nut ends up when tight will be different.

Now if I had a slotted disk or reflective mark on the nut I could turn the
spindle until that was detected and stop there.  Now we know where the flat is.
 A tab on the socket that stops the socket turning in the up position would
then allow a short blip on the air wrench to locate the socket close enough so
when it then goes down is guided over the drawbar bolt head.

Hence my other question about turning the spindle with the MESA 7i92H step/dir
module in position mode or catching an index position.

John