Has anyone else noticed the activity on Tormach's Git Hub repository.
 There seem to be multiple commits each day to
https://github.com/tormach/hal_ros_control/tree/foxy-devel

In a nutshell, they are making HAL a ROS2 node.    From a LNCN user's view
point this means machine tool can become part of a larger automated robotic
system and from the robotic engineer's view this means he can use the HAL
infrastructure to control robot parts.

Interesting because it is Tormach not some hobby user working part-time.
It is in Tormach's github.

I can imagine a work cell where robots load and unload milling machines or
move parts between machines and then pack the finished parts in boxes.
Then palletize the boxes and load them onto self-driving trucks that carry
them to a "lights out" factory where they make robots.   We all become
redundant.

More seriously,  this about doubles what each group can do.  And Tormach
seems to be investing real money in this.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California