On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 3:29 AM Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users <
emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> That repeatability is plenty good enough to drop work into an automatic
> holding fixture (which does the final precision positioning) then pick the
> pieces out for transfer to another manufacturing stage or into a box.

Not many people have a need to load parts into a CNC machine.    The big
market for robotic manipulators is going to be cleaning toilets and
clearing the dishes off dinner tables and placing them in a dishwasher.
 I'd guess that the domestic market is literally one million times larger
than the industrial market.     The industrial use of robots is dead-easy.
They run on g-code and make precise pre-programmed motions.  Clearing
dishes is at the other end of the scale of difficulty.     But there are
intermediate use cases that are not crazy-hard like moving boxes between
trucks and warehouses and say picking up trash in a public park.

As it turns out, for all the really hard tasks, +/- a quarter-inch (0.25")
is accurate enough.  You only need 0.001 inches for the simple no-brain
jobs.   So my point is that you can do a LOT with the cheaper 3D printed
plastic version of this robot.

I'm surprised there are not more people here working on robots.  hey are
very much like CNC tools but more interesting.

>    On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 02:36:42 PM MST, Ralph Stirling <
> ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:
>
>  That AR3 robot is indeed interesting.  In the event
> that anyone else wants to know the specs on the
> robot, here is what I found on page 298 of the manual:
>
> Reach – 24.75 inches (62.9cm)
> Payload – 4.15 lbs (1.9kg)
> Repeatability - .2mm
> Robot weight (aluminum) – 27lbs (12.25kg)
> Enclosure weight – 12.5lbs (5.6kg)
> Max Power Consumption – 8.25amp (198 watts)
>
> Reach and payload are decent, but repeatability is 10x
> worse than typical industrial arms.  Still a very intriguing
> system.  Not sure I envy the designer trying to support
> buyers of his kits though.  There are an awful lot of bits
> and pieces and assembly steps.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California