On Sunday, February 13, 2022 12:37:31 PM EST ken.stra...@gmail.com wrote:
> Alternatively one can tilt the stock rather than the head which I
> believe is Gene's plan.

That much stock tilt (30 degrees) in a 21" workpieces length, is well
beyond the z travel available on that gantry mill, not to mention it
makes the g-code at least 2x more complex. As is, the deformation of the
maple as I cut it to make the 2x2 blanks, may need a lincurve to correct
the Z axis in case it warps as I cut it, but that would be almost on a
per stick basis. Shudder... However that may be forced on me if this kiln
dried maple does warp. A bit of warp can be tolerated by the nuts as they
only engage 2" of the screw, and correcting for that would be preferable
to running out of wood to make the thread. That would take a lincurve in
the z, referenceing the mod[b position) plus a linurve to drive a z scale
driven by the y position. At least 4 more modules in the z path to apply
it all. The cpu has the cajones to do it, do I have the time and paience
to calibrate it? That IS the question. :o)

This maple looks good, but I've not yet engaged it with a sawblade. Have
made a couple gunstocks for a BP rifle, I know better than to expect it
not to warp unless its been vacuum dried for at least a year. Under a 29
inch + vacuum. Zero moisture IOW, and this new stuff is likely no dryer
than 14%. I'll find out quick enough. Like the saw kerf 6" into the first
cut.

Thanks Ken, you made me think outside the box, and thats always
appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis