On Sunday, February 13, 2022 2:58:02 PM EST dave engvall wrote:
> With current technology wood glues ( epoxy ) are often stronger than
> the wood which allows one to machine short sections and glue them
> together for a composite piece that is as strong as a contiguous
> part.  I think Gene is talented enough to make a live axis for his
> lathe that would do a bang up job of making those threads. Going thru
> the pain to do that is left as an exercise for the local shop. ;-)
> Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to make it
> work.
>
> Dave

Chuckle, thanks for pointing that out Dave. The main reason for not using
the lathe is the difference in reaction forces of the lathe using a
slowly moving tool in constant contact vs a 20,000 rpm engraving bit is
the reason for wanting to use the 20,000 rpm tool, not to mention the
moving engraving bit will leave a much smoother surface that a good stiff
brush full of warm carnaba will lube virtually forever. Cutting it on the
lathe will likely cut it 2+ mm fat in the center of the z span because of
that difference.

Take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)