I think you already have what you need.  "shutdown -h now" does not
immediately power down the system.   It sends a "SIGTERM" signal to each
process, waits then unmounts the file system then halts.     If your
software had a "SIGTERM" signal handler then it could ask if you want to
save data.  Some programs do have handlers.  The shutdown process waits for
all this to happen before halting the system.

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 5:43 PM Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got this put together.
> https://youtu.be/tKHrTkvBHCg
>
> One lingering question (for now).
> The shutdown script calls “sudo shutdown -h now”
>
> I’d like something a bit softer. For example, if there’s an unsaved change
> in an open program, the program should be able to interrupt the shutdown.
> What should I call instead?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California