From: John Figie [zephyr9...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 4:40 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] FW: [MachCNC] Mach4 teach/record

CAUTION: This email originated from outside the Walla Walla University email
system.

Actually What I described is not exactly Ethercat but more similar to
Ethernet/IP with CIP Motion. Ethercat is not standard Ethernet and that is
why the slave requres the mictochip interface device. But if open source
master and slave implementations are available maybe that would be a good
possibility. Since an Ethercat slave does not use standard ethernet I
believe that the master tunnels other protocols through the eterncat
networks, although I think in theory both protocols might be able to exist
since Ethercat is its own ethertype so that packets can be separated form
ethernet protocols. Anyway, for a dedicated network of just I/O Ethercat
works very well. On the othehand the problem with using CIP Motion is that
you need to belong to ODVA and pay a fee to get the specification so
although they claim it is open it really doesn't seem so and I am not sure
if it could be used in an open system because then the specifications would
also be public. It would be nice if there were a simple and free open
protocol and if it were based on standard ethernet then it could be long
lasting and would be extensible to faster ethernet speeds and IP-6 if
needed.

John Figie