On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 at 17:58, mar...@r-bechtold.de <mar...@r-bechtold.de> wrote:

> in the past I programmed single letters as gcode.

Yes, I have done the same thing for numbers to engrave scale rings.

This time I am using F-engrave and a cxf font that I created
specifically for the job at hand.

(CXF is easy, just a set of lines and arcs:
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/simple-gcode-generators/blob/master/engrave/cxf-fonts/normal.cxf
)

(note how this is part of the LinuxCNC code base already....)

My questions are around how best to throw G-code at LinuxCNC and have
it do the job. I think I want my Python script to be in charge, ]

The simple option is to just keep overwriting a single file, then
reload that file and run it from the LinuxCNC GUI. But in some ways I
would prefer LinuxCNC to be entirely controlled by the Python script.
That is the part I am asking about. ie how to tell LinuxCNC to load a
file and then run it. part of this can be done in the _Axis_ interface
with axis_remote
(https://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man1/axis-remote.1.html ) But
I am using Touchy. I was looking for a non gui-specific hook.

atp
lunatics."