Robin,

On 3/6/22 11:19, Robin Szemeti via Emc-users wrote:
Have you succesfully got the USB3 adapter to work with the Pi?  If so, what
make/model is it, I will happily purchase one if it is known to work. I
wasted an afternoon trying to get one I borrowed from one of my kids to
work on the Pi4 and gave up, so a known working version would be a great
help.

use command
lsusb

to see if the kernel is recognizing that eth device you plugged in USB.

I just plugged in years old USB/eth adapter and get
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Realtek chip for ethernet is very common in many adapters.

Also, try to run
dmesg | less

and search for eth. That's the message from the kernel during bootup. System files under /var/log are your friends also. I don't have a running RPi in front of me at this point but it would most likely be the same.

Rafael