Hi Thaddeus,

On 3/15/22 13:52, Thaddeus Waldner wrote:
Hi,

I would like to set up a linuxcnc vm box for simulation/training in my
classroom. What is the easiest way to do that and not have to mess with special
kernels?

I installed LinuxCNC in my Virtualbox a number of times. RT kernel doesn't have a problem running that way.

I assume you have computers in the classroom. What's on them? I hope not trash OS. One way you could go around it with bootup from USB stick that would run functional LinuxCNC.

You could install Virtualbox on computers, and have students pull VM images with LinuxCNC from the storage on LAN.

I have access to a local exsi server so it would be a small matter to run an
.iso. I also have a Debian bullseye vm running on it now, which I use for
projects like this.

Thanks

I also installed LCNC as a VM in Ubuntu server that's running KVM kernel. When you have one VM you can just clone it but need to take care of hostnames, user login IDs, and networking for students. Another option for a classroom setup would be to bootup VMs from the network. ESXi is a challenge in many ways so my preference would be Ubuntu server with KVM. RaspberryPi is yet another option. Students could take them home for their homework.

Not the easiest ways, just ideas.

Rafael