In a classroom, what to use depends on the existing infrastructure.  If the
school happens to have vSpere ESXi, then the virtual instances all run on
the server with displays exported to the student's screen.  There is
nothing to do on the local PC and students can go home and do exercises
using their own computers.   You only have to set this up once and all the
changes you need to make are on one computer.  But few schools have to kind
of IT infrastructure.

Lacking this you can have each VM instance run on the student's local PC
and the server only has to provide the VM image that gets downloaded.
(VMware Player is free, but no open source, and really is better than
Oracle's VB.)    But now you have to install the VMware Player on every
PC.  But do place an imah on a server, even if the "server" is Google Drive.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:04 AM Rafael Skodlar <ra...@linwin.com> wrote:

> Hi Thaddeus,
>
> On 3/15/22 13:52, Thaddeus Waldner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to set up a linuxcnc vm box for simulation/training in my
> classroom. What is the easiest way to do that and not have to mess with
> special kernels?
> >
> I installed LinuxCNC in my Virtualbox a number of times. RT kernel
> doesn't have a problem running that way.
>
> I assume you have computers in the classroom. What's on them? I hope not
> trash OS. One way you could go around it with bootup from USB stick that
> would run functional LinuxCNC.
>
> You could install Virtualbox on computers, and have students pull VM
> images with LinuxCNC from the storage on LAN.
>
> > I have access to a local exsi server so it would be a small matter to
> run an .iso. I also have a Debian bullseye vm running on it now, which I
> use for projects like this.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I also installed LCNC as a VM in Ubuntu server that's running KVM
> kernel. When you have one VM you can just clone it but need to take care
> of hostnames, user login IDs, and networking for students.
> Another option for a classroom setup would be to bootup VMs from the
> network.
> ESXi is a challenge in many ways so my preference would be Ubuntu server
> with KVM.
> RaspberryPi is yet another option. Students could take them home for
> their homework.
>
> Not the easiest ways, just ideas.
>
> Rafael

Chris Albertson