On 7/1/22 23:53, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
Before - way before - My parents were told by the school I couldn't hear
when I was in the 4th grade.
No one knew I couldn't hear well. I have learned to cope pretty well.
Sometimes, when I 'hear' something I will realize I felt the vibrations on
my skin.
My youngest boy was born deaf. Our clue was that when he was about
crawling age, he would sit and scream on a concrete floor while playing
happily on a wood floor. We knew is stomach wasn't right as he lived
for about the first 5 years on a predigested formula called Neutramagen.
We hauled him to Mayo and were told his deafness wasn't fixable.

But time was on our side, and one day when he was about 5 he looked
up at a piper J3, and said "airplane" as he pointed up.  He finally started
tolerating normal food in another year.  Mayo said he is a miracle. Today
he's about 42, and the very well paid head of the maintenance dept at
a packing plant in south eastern Nebraska, eats anything put in front of
him and hears better than I do at 87. And I give thanks for that miracle.

My boys, the 4 that survive, are all doing well.