I am back to making slow forward progress on the Clausing NC since
putting on hold back in March. The lathe came with the 5HP motor
already mounted and I have kept this as is from the previous owner
that gave up on the retrofit.  The original lathe had a mechanical
variable speed drive with pulleys similar to that on a bridgeport
variable speed head. I have mounted and wired up a Huanyang 7.5 Kw VFD
for the motor and first ran the motor today. I am using a 7.5Kw
inverter to allow for derating for single phase per Huanyang
recommendations.

I have about 1" of deflection in the belt. The belt seems quite noisy
when running the motor at 1725 RPM. I have not yet attempted to run
the motor at 3200 RPM which is my goal to get 2000 RPM spindle.

Are these kinds of timing belts usually noisy?
The original clausing manual says have 1" of belt deflection - but
they don't specify a force. Also the original timing belt was probably
about 3/4 as long as the one I have now because of the way the
variable speed drive was mounted. There isn't much clearance between
the belt and the z axis motor like 1/4" but increasing that clearance
would make less clearance to the spindle drive encoder (not mounted at
the moment).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hSYW84zZsdnoKdr79

Motor running at approx 1725 RPM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxjZn6QRmztM1TQk8