John Figie

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 9:02 AM gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Having watched and listened to the movie, I'm of the opinion the tooth
> profile of the belt doesn't match the pulleys. Whether that's from wear, or
> tooth profile miss-match yet to be determined.

I think the belt is pretty new. It is not the original. But It seems
like the tooth profile matches with the pulley.

> I have one of Dewalt's earliest electric wood planes, must be 40+ years
> old,
> works nice to fit the ends of a split rail fence rail, but it has a
> trapezoidal
> tooth and drive belt, and you can hear it howl a mile away.

OK this is what I wanted to confirm. These belts can be pretty noisy.
This is consistent with other feedback comments.
I am OK with the noise for now. I need to get the rest of the machine
working before spending money on a quieter belt.
I just wanted to be sure the noise is expected. Some of these
components can be pricey, maybe depending on where I
get them from.

I think there is no reason why this needs to be a timing belt. The
spindle encoder is driven from a counter shaft from the
3 speed gearbox - yes it always spins at the spindle speed not the
drive pulley so backlash and timing is not an issue.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 4:10 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 at 05:55, Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > If the noise is from the belt whipping, then lightly press a rod, or two,
> > on the back of the belt to see the effect on the noise
>
> If you have a 3D printer, you could try making a floating tensioner:
>
> https://www.roll-ring.com/?lang=en

Andy, That is a nice idea. However in my case I don't think I would
have clearance. The belt comes already perhaps too close to the servo
motor. Maybe I would need some kind of rocking tensioner with a wheel
on the outside of the belt that would switch sides according to the
direction of rotation. But I am not sure how it would switch from one
side to the other.

Maybe in the future I could use some kind of multi groove serpentine
belt or belts that have idelers to route around the encoder and servo
motor. But for now, if it works I will just get the rest working.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all of the insight.

Regards,

John Figie