Andy,
I remember, long ago, having used some sort of multiple pin plug system where the pins (gold plated) were delivered separately from the plug body. The pins were then equipped with the wires, crimped and lock-fitted into the plug body. The pins, that's the point, consisted of a thin solid core with 3 or 4 tiny springy 'blades' surrounding it that made absolutely perfect contact. They were surely less than 2 mm thick. There was another kind (for higher currents), just tinned, but more than 2 mm thick. I just can't remember the brand name ...
Peter