On 9/24/22 11:18 AM, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/24/22 11:34, Jon Elson wrote:
On 9/23/22 17:24, gene heskett wrote:
Each brand of vfd seems to have its own setup. But that lf boost is a tricky one. I don't know if that invertor shows you the amperage being delivered but it seems it would be an odd one if it didn't. What you normally do is read the motors nameplate for the FLA, Full Load Amperage.

Then set the lf boost to not exceed that.
Yes, I have found that the default current limit is 3 A, my 2 HP motor is rated at 6 A, so that was the reason for the trips.

If you intend to use it in both directions, quickly as in rigid tapping operations, the accel/decel registers are generally set rediculously conservative. Those can be sped up to almost instant,
but lcnc can still confuse the vfd into tripping.

I have a lowpass filter on the spindle speed value in the HAL file.  This has worked great on my old mill.  I did have to turn off the motor overheat integrator in the old VFD, as the Bridgeport motors can handle plug reversing.  I do 4-40 rigid tapping at 1000 RPM.  I will have to figure out how to do that on the new VFD.

Thanks,

Jon
I've not seen a register so named in any of the vfd's I've played with. They've all been 1.5 hp rated, driving 1hp rated motors. I'd never consider a vfd as "plug" reversable, as that puts it all in the time lag to trip the' service breakers. Delaying the reverse signal until the motor is stopped, shifts all those surges into the filters in the drive., and uses little or no mains power to effect the reversal. My mill draws around 5 amps wide open, and an analog amprobe says it drops to around 2 amps during the reversal. Loaded and throwing swarf all over the place it might peak at about 15-16, but the only indication I have that its working too hard, is when your driver goes into current limit at about 17.5 amps of DC into the motor. With a pid-p at 25 or so there is no slowdown as the current goes up, until I hear the squeak from the motor iron as your driver limits.:)

Those gears in the go704 head are nylon, and I'm still amazed I haven't broken them. Among other things in controlling it,  I used a mux4 for the speed change vs tach scale and such, so there's 4 inputs to control speeds. Two inputs from tally switches watching a notch in the rim of the gear shift knob control what gets fed to the limiter in front of the pid_S input. When neither switch is true, a speed of about 25 rpms is fed to the motor.  By this means, it can be doing 3000 at the spindle, I can grab the knob and the tally goes false in maybe 2 degrees, leaving the motor turning very slow while I'm changing gears, those gears all have square sided teeth, the slow turning engages the gears with no hesitation I can feel, and the tally does not go true until 98% engaged. So I can reach up and change gears on the fly at any rpm. Before, I had to stop the spindle, then grab the spindle and turn it by hand in order to engage the new
gear. Then restart the spindle.  Now I just turn the knob.

Picky little stuff, Jon, but its safer too.

I bough me a circular square to use to make the post square to the bed, its leaning about 2 degrees, but have been occupied with the 6040 as I teach it how to make a BIG, LONG, hard maple workbench vise screw. And trying to get a 2nd 3d printer to work with PETG in various flavors to make the buttress
thread nut and such.

Some pix of it are on my web page in the sig.  John K. won't let me post them.

Take care and stay well now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
The controller for the spindle motor on the Mazak changes field current relative to spindle speed. I don't suppose there are any hooks to do the same for the XSY inverter. Just a random thought.

Dave