On 10/9/22 17:54, Martin Dobbins wrote:
I think the rpi version of linux cnc is not the same as the pc version?

Martin

________________________________
From: John Dammeyer

I thought I would try this with no expectations that it would actually work.  I
have an apple MacBook Pro from around 2011 installed with the Raspberry Pi
version of Linux.

I tried Andy's   " sudo apt-get install linuxcnc"  but as you can see below it
fails.  I am up to date with update and upgrade.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?  I do have LinuxCNC running on a Pi4.
John
Your problem is probably the mac's kernel, running the raspian buster, the kernel has no realtime support.

The git pull of the src is exactly the same. I can use the buildbots rpi version here on my rpi4b, or I can build it from a git clone of linucnc's src tree right on that pi.. No detectable difference.

How does that old mac boot?  If it is a "u-boot"er, then there is an odd chance my kernel can run it. Also, I /think/ the
arm kernel of: pi@rpi4:~ $ uname -a

Linux rpi4.coyote.den 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Feb 6 07:09:18 EST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

Might run on your mac. I /think/ its also available from linuxcnc.org. If it is mine, install is just unpacking the tarball, seeing two directories in it, and copying each to the same directory on your mac, u-boot will need /boot/config.txt edited to select the alternate /boot
to get the above output after a reboot.

Make recovery backups first of course.

My nearly 80 yo 11x54 Sheldon is being run by an rpi4b, works fine. Has been for several years, starting originally with
an rpi3b, slower by quite a bit.

Take care & stay well, John.
john@raspberry:~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        11
Codename:       bullseye
john@raspberry:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/";
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support";
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/";
john@raspberry:~ $ uname -srm
Linux 5.10.0-15-amd64 x86_64
john@raspberry:~ $
john@raspberry:~ $ sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linuxcnc
oh oh, bullseye, Last time I checked, bullseye's python was too new, busters works fine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis